Wednesday, October 16, 2013

All Tied up in Knots....!






I love the San Francisco airport...they often have mini exhibits to view while waiting to board a plane.


Imagine my surprise when I saw this exhibit on sailor knotting ! I had seen one of the finest examples of knotting  a few weeks prior to this trip and it had stayed on my mind.


While on ships, sailors got creative with their spare time and developed the art of macramé into an art form.

They would tie the knots over wine bottles, boxes and even the ship's wheel!

Although they had some great examples, none compared with the jug I had seen earlier.

It was in a lamp shop in Little Rock , Arkansas...Lamp Shades Etc.  Those teeny knots called to me from across the room.

Have you ever seen a more exquisite example of sailor knotting? Even the lid has a cap! I swooned! The price was a little out of my budget, but I am optimistic about finding another one in my future. Never underestimate a woman on a mission! I'll let you know if I find another treasure...!

3 comments:

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Dear Theresa,

I've always associated macramé with the 1970's and your posting allowed me to make the proper connection back to sailors. Of course! The antique jug is a beautiful conversation piece, and it just goes to show how much down time some sailors must have had, in the evenings I suppose. I've also always loved the sailor's shell art — some is tacky, but some is gorgeous.

Theresa Cheek said...

Mark,
You are so right! I also love the shell art. Thanks for stopping by.

home before dark said...

I too thought summer of love macrame! I'll have to get your San Fran where to go to's. Just got back from a week and always sad to return to Kansas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails